Rescue a 'locked out' PC?

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

Cyo

Rescue a 'locked out' PC?

Postby Cyo » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:37 pm

Can any of this rescue software be used on this PC?
Locked out of PC installing new OS?

Cannot find help with this problem? Major ‘lock out’ problem at the moment with my Linux PC. Disabled!
Starting with “An error occured, permission denied”, then “Please see the log file C\users\Cyjo\temp\wubi 1404-rev 286 log” (no use if you cannot get into your OS) and then "User’s $HOME/,dmrc file is being ignored, this prevents the default session and language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User’s $ HOME directory must be owned by user and net writable by other user’s”.
I was not skilled enough to see any red warning lights when these came up, so the next thing was Black screen with grey under score and no options, which is where I remain!
The task that I was undertaking when this happend, was trying to install Ubuntu OS over Mint OS. Linux Mint was my learning curve/introduction OS, so I am sure that playing with the buttons without supervision was the direct cause.
What is disturbing me the most is not seeing “Danger, do not” signs and who and where to go when this happens.
Perhaps you know of solutions or have a software, or where to go for them?
Regards,
Cy O'Hara

feffer

Re: Rescue a 'locked out' PC?

Postby feffer » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:33 am

Partimage is only of use, if you've previously made an image of your system. Perhaps you might try Systemrescue CD or its forum. On the other hand, just try a fresh install of Ubuntu (IE, start the install over).

Cyo

Postby Cyo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 am

Thank you, yes, at this stage, anything is better than nothing. Next step rebuild hey.

Cyo

Postby Cyo » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Thank you for your help. Got passed that point of the problem by installing from disc! Unfortunately, I no longer have any Internet!
Never mind hey, that's life.
Cyo

Return to “Running partimage from a bootable CDRom and floppy disk”