entire hard disk to a slave disk?

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

racec

entire hard disk to a slave disk?

Post by racec » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:44 pm

Hi
I'm using hirens boot cd who has partimage "live"

I¿ve to create images from several machines (all different) so the thing i wanna do is run the live cd on each machine (before i installed a new hdd as slave, with high capacity (500Gb)), but i want to make those hdd images directly to this secondary hdd,
Is that possible?
Please let me know how to do it. Cause as i saw, just can make the image to the same disk that i'm trying to do the image.

Hope you help me.

Thanx!

Hartmut

Re: entire hard disk to a slave disk?

Post by Hartmut » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 pm

racec wrote:Hi
I'm using hirens boot cd who has partimage "live"

I¿ve to create images from several machines (all different) so the thing i wanna do is run the live cd on each machine (before i installed a new hdd as slave, with high capacity (500Gb)), but i want to make those hdd images directly to this secondary hdd,
Is that possible?
Please let me know how to do it. Cause as i saw, just can make the image to the same disk that i'm trying to do the image.

Hope you help me.

Thanx!
Why only to the same disk?
What is the command/gui-option you are using?
What is the mountpoint of the second disk?

CU

Hartmut

Post by Hartmut » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:08 am

slicegan wrote:There are no master or slave configurations on SATA hard drives. This only applies to IDE hard drives where you can connect 2 hard drives to one cable. With SATA you can only attach one hard drive to one cable so there are no master or slave configurations.
Thats not the points. He is thinking about the first disk as system and the second as backupconfiguration and calls it a slave disk - has nothing to do with IDE master/slave.
Therefore I'm asking why he wants to do backups to the same disk, where that second (not slave!!) disk is mounted and what is the command he is using.