clone laptop disk drive

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

powah

clone laptop disk drive

Post by powah » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:28 pm

My two year old laptop harddisk sometimes has a problem booting. I suspect it may die soon. My hard disk had windows XP, Fedora core and gentoo installed. I am thinking of cloning the laptop disk drive by doing this, please comment if it is ok.
Use the Partition Image program on the SystemRescue CD to creat images for NTFS and linux partitions.
Store the NTFS and linux images on a USB hard disk which is connected to my labtop.
Disconnect the power and remove the battery from the laptop.
Take out the old laptop disk drive and replace with a new laptop disk drive.
Use fdisk on the SystemRescue CD to create new partitions on the new laptop disk drive.
Restore all images from the USB hard disk to the new laptop disk drive.

beck.chin

Post by beck.chin » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:39 am

These steps seems OK.
Rember to install boot loader.

ty2spot

Re: clone laptop disk drive

Post by ty2spot » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:17 pm

powah wrote: Use fdisk on the SystemRescue CD to create new partitions on the new laptop disk drive.
Restore all images from the USB hard disk to the new laptop disk drive.
Dude make sure you get the part tables right as well. size does matter!

hramat

Re: clone laptop disk drive

Post by hramat » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:56 am

powah wrote: ... make sure you get the part tables right as well. size does matter!
I have older laptop, I bought new harddisk (faster and bigger than the original one). I have partitioned new HDD with GParted and done my data migration with help of partimage on SystemRescueCd (live linux distro). But I have noticed that the size used part of restored images is bigger than it used to be on the older HDD. The entire size of partition was as created by GParted and the size of unused spaced was as in the old HDD but the size of used part was increased.

can anyone tell me what shall I do to keep my partition tables correct, please?
thanx

ty2spot

Post by ty2spot » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:43 pm

Main thing to remember is that each listed partitions size that you pulled data from will require at least that same size or larger to restore to on the new hard drive. And the case with windows is you must make sure it is listed as the same partition number that it was originally (Primary Partition 0 or 1 or whatever it was originally). If the unit runs then all is well and ignore the ramblings of the man in the corner as he glances at your shoes.

hramat

Post by hramat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:55 pm

thanx for reply.
Well everything runs perfectly after several tries. I have additionally changed partition size after system was successfully running