backup NTFS-partitions?

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

jens

backup NTFS-partitions?

Post by jens » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:17 pm

I'm new to linux and have a problem with specifying the image file to use...

I started linux from CD and ran PartImage. Then I wanted to backup one of the ntfs-partitions (sda1) of my system to an image file saved on another ntfs-partition (sda6) of the system.

And here's the question: Can PartImage backup to an image-file to be stored on an ntfs-partition (sda6)? If possible, what string do I have to key in for the image-file, e.g. saving the image-file to root directory of sda6?

bye and thanks.

phil54601

NTFS backups

Post by phil54601 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:39 pm

Hello;
I'm new to Linux too, but may be of some help. I use the 'system-rescue-cd' (in Ubuntu 6.06) I downloaded & burned the iso. After the cd boots, you will be at a 'root prompt' at the bottom of the screen. The message above that prompt states to use 'startx' the start the graphic interface, it also says to use syntax something like:
ntfs-3 /dev????
I don't remember the exact format, and I don't have it booted upright now.
I hope this is helpful!
Goodluck.
phil

gatorback

Post by gatorback » Thu May 31, 2007 8:43 pm

jens,

I have succesfully copied the image file to an NTFS partition on a USB HDD. First, I had to find out the names of my HDD and my USBHDD. This can be done with:

Code: Select all

cat /proc/partitions
The result of this is that USB HDD was located at /dev/sda5. Yours may be different.

Next I made a directory to mount the USBHDD:

mkdir /mnt/gatorback
Now I can mount my USBHDD to a directory:

ntfs-3g /dev/sda5 mnt/gatorback
I like to test that it works by listing the contents of the HDD, so I will invoke:

cd /mnt/gatorback
ls -l
Having done this, you may now specify a file name in /mnt/gatorback to save your image. Don't forget to save your MBR.