Simple how to for SystemRescueCD and Partimage -- SOLVED!!!

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

frazelle09

Simple how to for SystemRescueCD and Partimage -- SOLVED!!!

Post by frazelle09 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:06 am

i have a hard disk with two partitions and want to image the first. They are hda1 and hda2 (the first has root and the second, /home/frazelle09).

When i run SystemRescueCD i can select the correct partition to image: hda1. However something is not working -- mainly i don't know which button or command to use to indicate that i want the image saved in /home/frazelle09/. i think, for what little i know, that it wants something mounted.

Do i have to mount before or after running System?

If before, what specific command should i type, in the Terminal i suppose, given the data above?

Once i have mounted whatever it is i need to mount and run Partimage, what should i type into the line to specify the name of the image so that the image is created on /home/frazelle09/ ?

i hope you can help with this. This seems like such a great program, i wish it were a little easier for us geeks-in-training to use.

Have a great evening! :)

frazelle09

Post by frazelle09 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:05 am

Dear fred, if you've forgotten how to do this, consult your Wiki entry here...

http://docs.pclinuxos.com/Using_Partima ... emRescueCD

Have a great day! :)

kcredden

Post by kcredden » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:34 pm

Ok, got this to work :) I had to re-read it, and did some more experimenting. I'm assuming now that to backup the hda2 I do the same with hda1 but save it under a different file name.

Shouldn't have anymore problems now.

- Kc

--

Hey great post except for 1 thing.

I just installed Debian 4, and told it I only wanted an apps/os partition, and a /home partition (said it was best for beginners or something like that.) Since I'm new I'm letting debian do all the work.

What I got was: (I'm typing this from the laptop's fdisk display, so forgive any screwups)

device boot start end blocks id system
/dev/hda1 * 1 851 6835626 83 linux
/dev/hda2 852 7296 51769462+ 5 extended
/dev/hda5 852 992 1132551 82 linux swap/solaris
/dev/hda6 993 7296 50636848+ 83 linux

Now I'm assuming that /dev/hda6 is my home directory, and I have around 43g of space to use correct?

So how do I tell partimage to put the image in the /dev/hda6 directory? Nothing I've done works. It wants to stick it on (I'm guessing) /dev/hda1 and it runs out of room.

The wiki entry wasn't clear enough on how to specifically specify the /hda6 partition.

Also since I'm here. How do I tell it to also back up the /hda2 partition? I'm assuming that you don't need to backup the swap partition.

Thanks!
frazelle09 wrote:Dear fred, if you've forgotten how to do this, consult your Wiki entry here...

http://docs.pclinuxos.com/Using_Partima ... emRescueCD

Have a great day! :)