restore to a 200GB hda1 disk from a 100 GB sda1 disk

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

mdsharp24

restore to a 200GB hda1 disk from a 100 GB sda1 disk

Post by mdsharp24 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:56 am

Right now I have a Dell laptop with a 100GB HDD (/dev/sda1), and df shows only 4.3 GB used.

I routinely create a backup to a single image file on an external USB drive using partimage. In addition, I backed up my MBR using dd if=/dev/sda of=/my/external/USB/drive/backup-sda.mbr count=1 bs=512

I of course did all this booted into a Live CD.

Now, I am anticipating getting a new laptop in about a month and will want to restore the data. I realize doing so to a smaller disk is difficult if not impossible, but I understand going from smaller to larger isn't so hard. I have no doubt my new box will be well over a 100GB HDD.

So, I want to make sure I have the correct steps down in restoring an image made on one box to another box with a bigger HDD.

On the new computer, lets assume it's a 200 GB HDD.

1. I will boot using a Live CD and zero out the partition (likely it will come with Windows) and use gparted to make one large ext3fs partition. Lets assume the new box is /dev/hda1. I would use dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda

2. Having a disk with no MBR and no data on a 200GB ext3fs drive, I would then restore the old computers MBR

3. Using partimage, restore the image created from the old computer.

4. Use gparted to resize the partition back out to 200GB.

5. edite menu.1st (GRUB) to reflect /dev/hda1 instead of /dev/sda1

Am I on the right track?

maumar

Post by maumar » Sat Aug 02, 2008 5:21 am

1. I will boot using a Live CD and zero out the partition (likely it will come with Windows) and use gparted to make one large ext3fs partition. Lets assume the new box is /dev/hda1. I would use dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
afaik, dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda
zeroes the disk, not the partition
if u want:
zero out the partition (likely it will come with Windows)

imho you should issue
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda1

if u use gparted to
1 destroy current window partition on freshly bought notebook
2 create 1 or more linux part (w/ or w/out LVM) and hopefully a swap part

you should then mkfs.ext3 /dev/hda1
or partimage need a partition blanked without any ext3 fs?
[/quote]