imaging NTFS partition - possibly a newbie question

Here are messages about how to use partimage from a bootable CDRom / floppy disk.

Moderator: feffer

simon.may

imaging NTFS partition - possibly a newbie question

Post by simon.may » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 am

Hi,

I am trying to create an image of one of my WinXP, NTFS partitions for backup.

I have downloaded and burned SystemRescueCD, and have successfully booted from the CD. I am able to create directories - /mnt/c_drive and /mnt/d_drive - and then mount /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5 respectively, using the NTFS mount utility.

I then want to run partimage - which I can do - but partimage needs for the two sda devices to be unmounted - which in turn means that there is no space to generate / save the ISO image.

Any advice would be gratefully received, please.

Very many thanks,

Simon May

iki

Post by iki » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:56 pm

Hi,

The partition you want to make image from has not to be mounted, because you can't make a consistent image of filesystem and write on it from other processes at the same time - at least without some advanced system that can track those writes and propagate them to the image as well.

On contrary if you do local backup (ie. not over network), you need to mount the partition, where you want to place the image.

For example, if you want to backup C: to image on D:, mount only the latter one.

iki

simon.may

Post by simon.may » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:16 pm

Hello all,

Very many thanks for your answers.

This is all resolved now.

I have purchased an external HDD.

The HDD within my laptop which is what I want to be creating an image of is split into two partitions - one much smaller than the other.

With the new external HDD, I boot using the SystemRescueCD live CD.

Make a new directory - /mnt/sdb1 - which is where the image being created of the internal HDD partition will be written.

Mount the external HDD partition (/dev/sdb1) onto the directory created in the step above.

Run partimage and select /dev/sda5 (an internal HDD partition) as the partition to image, and /mnt/sdb1/xxxx as the write destination of the image being created.

This all works fine.

Thanks again,

Simon May

antalves

cloning two OS

Post by antalves » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:03 pm

I'll replace my HD with a new SATA. Now use two OS, WIN XP and Ubuntu 9.04. I need the two OS. I would like to know how to clone all, the two partitions, so when I disconnect the old HD, the new takes over.

Is it possible??? :?

feffer

Re: cloning two OS

Post by feffer » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:05 am

antalves wrote:I'll replace my HD with a new SATA. Now use two OS, WIN XP and Ubuntu 9.04. I need the two OS. I would like to know how to clone all, the two partitions, so when I disconnect the old HD, the new takes over.
Is it possible??? :?
Yes, you can do this. Before starting, be sure to have your data backed up, or you could lose it. If you have an external enclosure, you could put the new hdd into it, otherwise you'll have to use a USB external hdd as an intermediary. Or if this is a Workstation and you have an empty bay you could put the new hdd there.

If it were me, I'd partition and format the new hdd first. I assume the new hdd is bigger than the old one. If so, make each partition bigger than the original. Then boot into Ubuntu and use partimage to save an image of WinXP locally. Then, use partimage to restore that image to a partition on the new hdd. To restore the Ubuntu partition, you'll have to boot with a RescueCD or LiveCD (I think your Ubuntu install CD will work) and run partimage from there. Save and restore the Ubuntu partition the same way. After this, you should mount the new Ubuntu partition and adjust /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst as needed. Don't reboot until you do this! At this point, you should be able to swap in the new hdd for the old one. If you have problems booting, run the LiveCD again and reinstall grub.

Alternately, you could use dd to directly clone from one hdd to another, skipping the intermediate image creation. In either case, the source partition must be unmounted.

Regards,
feffer

antalves

Post by antalves » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:08 pm

Thanks, I've saved this "lesson"... :lol: