Install problems on Fedora 14 -- *** bzip2 library (libbz2)

Everything about the installation and compilation

Moderator: feffer

carbondragon

Install problems on Fedora 14 -- *** bzip2 library (libbz2)

Postby carbondragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:34 pm

While attempting to install PartImage 0.6.9 on Fedora 14, I got the error:

*** bzip2 library (libbz2) not found or too old: version 1.0.0 or more recent is need

Actually at first it said GCC wasn't installed (and it wasn't) so I was able with a little online assistance to correct that. THEN I tried again and got the above error. The thing is this library IS installed, so I'm guessing this error message is erroneous. It probably needs something, but I'm not sure what. I have the terminal window text captured as well as the config.log but this Fedora computer isn't on the internet due to internal corporate rules so I'm trying to do this offline. I'm installing PartImage from a tarball. PartImage is not on the Fedora 14 DVD, even the full install one.

The installation is installed on an HP 2140 netbook and I have both the liveimage and the regular Fedora 14 installation DVDs. I got the Development tools from the second DVD thanks to some assistance on method. I used UNIX for a good many years but am new to LINUX.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what PartImage might really want? Is anyone still supporting PartImage? Thanks.

carbondragon

Postby carbondragon » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:43 pm

Ok, looks like it worked. Here's the whole solution from this thread and the one previous:

Originally, I installed Fedora 14 from the LiveImage DVD on an HP2140 netbook. In retrospect what I SHOULD have done was to install it from the FULL DVD and include the development package. Since I didn't and since corporate rules prevent me from connecting to the internet, On the Fedora forums, Stoat helped me draw the code using yum from the Full Fedora 14 DVD. See http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=258139 for the original thread, but his instructions were:

Put your new Fedora 14 DVD in the optical drive.

Copy the file named media.repo (it's in the DVD's root directory) to /etc/yum.repos.d.

Code: Select all

su
cp /media/Fedora\ 14\ i386\ DVD/media.repo /etc/yum.repos.dNow
open /etc/yum.repos.d/media.repo for editing.

su
gedit /etc/yum.repos.d/media.repo
Add the baseurl and enabled lines. Like this... (baseurl line and following enabled line are new)

[InstallMedia]
name=Fedora 14
mediaid=1210211556.020306
baseurl=file:///media/Fedora\ 14\ i386\ DVD
enabled=0
metadata_expire=-1
gpgcheck=0
cost=500

Note: It is disabled on purpose. Leave it that way.

Save the file, close gedit, and change the permissions of the media.repo file...

su
chmod 644 /etc/yum.repos.d/media.repo
To use the repo in a yum command, disable all repos, enable only the InstallMedia repo, and install something...

su
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedia groupinstall "Development Tools"
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedia install kernel-headers kernel-devel

So that got me gcc installed. But when I went back to the partimage install, it said that bz2's library was missing or too old (see previous in this thread). PabloTwo on The Fedora Forums http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=258139 helped me from here. Basically, the headers for four of the packages were not installed, though the code itself was. I needed to install those headers. So all the lines I had to enter were

yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedial install zlib-devel lzo-devel bzip2-devel
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedial install zlib-devel lzo-devel newt-devel
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedial install zlib-devel lzo-devel zlib-devel
yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedial install zlib-devel lzo-devel openssl-devel

After each of these I ran the PartImage installer again and it reported the next missing "header" for one of the library. After all of these, it did the install.

Thank you very much Stoat and PabloTwo. I literally couldn't have done it without them! I'm putting the solution here too in case someone looking for help installing PartImage has the same problem and comes here.

Return to “Install”