Use From USB KEY

Everything about the installation and compilation

Moderator: feffer

geniophobia

Use From USB KEY

Post by geniophobia » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:42 am

I struggled with this for some time but finally got it working for our (company name witheld) corporate SOE image delivery.

I used a combination of Feather Linux for USB KEY and a custom KNOPPIX.SH script to automate imaging processes.

I used a 2GB key and partitioned it with 1 primary partition of 140mb for feather and the rest and extended partition with the logical drive taking up the rest of the space in the extended partition.

Did this with QTparted in knoppix.

After loading the feather files to the key (in windows xp) I used syslinux 2.11 to make it bootable made up the knoppix.sh script and popped it into the \knoppix directory on the key.

I Also customized the syslinux file on the root of the key and added knoppix cheat commands to boot into run level 2 with root access.

Partimage runs in batch mode fine and I have had no drop outs with imaging both fragmented and Defraged NTFS partitions to and from the key.

I have also scripted in an option to image across our network with the smbmount command .

The finally image size came in just under 1.7Gb and can be deployed to the machine from the key in around 4min.

Not bad for a free program.

Keep up the good work guys (partimage) and look forward to seeing 7.2.

:D

heuer

Re: Use From USB KEY

Post by heuer » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 am

geniophobia wrote:
The finally image size came in just under 1.7Gb and can be deployed to the machine from the key in around 4min.

Not bad for a free program.
Have a look at the busybox (www.busybox.net) and makeroot project (linked there)

With these and the static binaries from partimage I come to around 5 MB Bootimage + Kernel with smbmount included.
The Image can be booted from stick or via net, it seriously lacks any Hardware Detection though, so you have to know the chipset of the HD-Controller and the network card.

But as the prices for USB-Sticks are constantly dropping it is probably not worth the hassle if you have a working solution by now