Compatible with windows 7 ?

If you have a question about a file system (for example xfs, reiserfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

aseim99

Compatible with windows 7 ?

Post by aseim99 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:56 am

Hi we are tryign to copy windows 7 partition on a SATA drive. We copied the mbr 100mb and the partition on a SATA drive. The copying from image file was straight forward no problem. But when I boot with the new SATA partition , i only see that greay loading bar of windows 7 saying "copying files" and then it goes into a loop of it. Can't get the windows to boot.

So what i want to know is that windows 7 is compatible with partimage or not ?

cheers

feffer

Post by feffer » Wed May 04, 2011 12:27 am

According the documentation on filesystem support Windows NT, 2000 and XP are "experimental." Windows 7 is not mentioned as development stopped prior to it. However, many people are using partimage successfully on NTFS filesystems. So it might work, but you're sort of on your own, and I don't know of anyone else reporting success with it here.

Regards,
feffer

aseim99

Thanks

Post by aseim99 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:17 am

It has been "experimental" with those windows system since dawn of time. Don't think the developers are interested in it anymore.
So according to you no one here seems to have any success with windows 7.

Guess i will try with the built in system image creation tool in windows 7.

Cheers

feffer

Post by feffer » Wed May 04, 2011 6:35 pm

Some other options are dd and fsarchiver. These can be run from liveCDs like SystemRescueCD, Clonezilla or even an Ubuntu install disk. If you are doing a one-time move to a larger drive, dd might be ideal. It is a command line app, very powerful and copies at the block level like partimage. If you're interested, google "dd tutorial" or "move windows with dd" and you should get a howto. If you are not familiar with command line, the rescue CDs has gui options. I have used both dd and fsarchiver to move linux systems and dd to move an XP one, but haven't tried with w7 yet.

If by chance you are moving from a spinning HD to an SSD, I would suggest a clean install of w7. That way you will get an optimal install.

aseim99

Post by aseim99 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:00 am

I have installed win 7 on a fresh sata drive of 320 gb. Then we put some applications on it . Now what we want to do is create a clone of that on a same 320gb sata drive. I have never done it myself but was told by manager that they have done it for xp but never for win7.

I tried the built in system image creation feature and when i reach the stage where i need to restore the image on new sata drive , it doesnt do it since no windows is installed on the new drive. So i went ahead and did partimage on new drive and then again same result the system image restore does not recognize that the new sata does infact have got the windows files on it.

Now i think this is a security meassure for win7 , to stop ppl from making multiple copies. I would be installing a basic win 7 on new sata and then try to restore image of old sata onto new one . Will also look into "dd" .

Cheers

Vicious

Re: Compatible with windows 7 ?

Post by Vicious » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I know this post is old, but its still on the first page so I'll give what I do in case people are still trying this.

I successfully use part image to copy windows 7 all the time.

Things to keep in mind, if the hard drive is in AHCI mode make sure you restore it to one in AHCI mode. Ditto for compatibility mode, I've had problems when mixing the two.

Secondly you may need to move the boot files from the system reserved partition if you didn't partition the drive manually when installing windows 7, It will set this up by default if you don't force it before hand.

The following link tells you how to do this:
http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

Thirdly remember that the BCD store is bound to the hard rives UID by default. I'll post some instruction I found online a long time ago, but cant find where it was anymore. Its for Windows Vista, but applies to windows 7 as well.

The three commands he lists are all I've ever needed to do.

----
An update on where things currently stand.

Indeed this appears to be a condition specific to the new BCD-based boot manager. i.e. It's the boot manager failing to find and execute the Windows boot files under circumstances where Windows itself can otherwise successfully boot, and not a change to the boot configuration/dependencies of Windows itself.

(Windows of course also keeps partition and disk information of its own, even prior to Vista. But in my experience this never resulted in a boot issue for the situation described, and Windows automatically updated and corrected if a different partition / disk signature was used.)

The cause of the Vista load failure previously described, to the degree I understand it, is that by default all of the BCD entries use "PARTITION"-type device references where applicable. In the BCD data stored for these "PARTITION"-type device references (visible in the BCD section of the registry, and in a BCDEDIT /EXPORT), both the drive signature and the partition number appear to be part of the information stored. And based on the results, both must match the current environment else the boot manager will declare the OS loading application cannot be found.

(Even if I force the drive signature to be the correct signature, if I'm restoring to a different partition than the image was previously using, the restored partition will still fail to boot because the partition number stored in the BCD still doesn't match the current environment.)

The solution that appears to be most suitable (at least for the situation I previously described and was intending to solve) is to change the BCD entries to use "BOOT" device references rather than explicit "PARTITION"-based references. Presumably thereby implying "whatever device/partition I booted from, that is the device/partition I want to use".

Preparing a Vista installation prior to creating the Ghost image then becomes a task of setting the DEVICE and OSDEVICE entries of the BCD entries you intend to use:

Logon as Administrator and from a command prompt invoke the following changes:
BCDEDIT /set {bootmgr} device boot
BCDEDIT /set {default} device boot
BCDEDIT /set {default} osdevice boot

Note you can "fix" a previously restored (and currently failing to boot) installation using a PE boot disc and executing these same actions against the restored partition's BCD entries.

There may be more entires that you need to fix if you intend to use them ({memtest}, {legacy}, etc.). The above is just the minimum for my own scenario where there is just a clean Vista-only OS installation on the partition.

Once the BCD entries are no longer referring to specific disk signatures and partition numbers, there is no need to use -FDSP with Ghost anymore, either. The disk signature can be reset as it is by default with a Ghost disk restore, and "nothing special" is required during image creation or restore (from a Ghost perspective).

Presumably this could have also been corrected by resetting/updating the "PARTITION"-type device entries with current information (current partition number and disk signature) post-Ghost restore, if for any reason the use of "PARTITION"-type references is needed. For the purposes of making an image that can be restored via Ghost to any partition on my test box, the "BOOT" device reference appears most desirable by not being fixed to any one partition or disk signature.

Happy booting.

-Alan
------

Personally I sysperp the system first too. The following link should get you off to a good start:
http://theitbros.com/sysprep-a-windows- ... to-finish/

Look at his recommended link at the bottom too.

Hope this helps anyone wishing to do this. It took me over a month of off and on research to finally get it all figured out. Mainly it was finding the BCD Edit info that helped me pull it all together. Never found any documentation from Microsoft mentioning the 'boot' was an option. I knew why the BCD store was giving me a problem, just not how to work around it.