NTFS support with captive

If you have a question about a file system (for example xfs, reiserfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

zax

NTFS support with captive

Post by zax » Sun Feb 22, 2004 10:17 pm

Hello,

in the doku I read the NTFS filesystem makes some problems,
what is when ich use the captive driver (captive uses the own NTFS driver from M$
and emulate that).

Will I have with captive 100% NTFS support?

Manuel

captive: http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

DW

NTFS & partimage

Post by DW » Sun Feb 22, 2004 11:14 pm

partimage does NOT make use of the kernel modules to access an NTFS partition. Thus captive-ntfs will not make any difference to the integrity of an NTFS image made with partimage.

Szaka

HOWTO implement reliable NTFS support

Post by Szaka » Wed Feb 25, 2004 11:54 am

Hello, below is a repost from the old forum because it will be deleted soon and I hope somebody will find these info useful and does something about the issue (if I have some time I contribute to the Linux-NTFS project, no time for others, sorry).

A while ago I looked Partimage code and there are two major problems with its NTFS support:

1) It doesn't use the stable Linux-NTFS code and library however it implemented its own (AFAIK this is not the Partimage developers' fault because 2-3(?) years ago there wasn't any NTFS library). NTFS is huge, there are a lot of needs to handle special cases what Partimage doesn't do. Our userbase apparently is in the order of millions who do use our code day by day without problems (but please see the project's status page because there are two completely different NTFS source base and people are confusing them).

2) Partimage saves used blocks based on the cluster allocation bitmap without validating it. This is a bigger problem because it can save data not in use and ignore data in use -> lost data. Right after a backup/restore you can't tell if this happened but after some days/weeks/months one might find files having only zeros, random data or data from another file.The cluster allocation bitmap is relatively often incorrect (luckily the most often case is it marks clusters in use however they are not in real) and if users run a chkdsk before using Partimge they should avoid this problem.

The above is the reason why I recommend usually to use ntfsclone if one values his/her data. http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/man/ntfsclone.html

What could be done on Partimage side? Partimage developers should use the NTFS library from ntfsprogs and take/adjucts/librarize the relevant parts from ntfsclone. It does need work unrelated to NTFS but the end result would be rock stable NTFS support.

zael

NTFS Support with PARTIMAGE

Post by zael » Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:14 pm

How long ago have you looked at the code? Has it change since then?

Thanks!

Szaka

Post by Szaka » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:44 pm

The Partimage NTFS code didn't change since then.

However we discussed the issue and I'm working on the most important ntfsprogs changes for Partimage (moving the relevant codes to the NTFS library). Then we will see what else needed, hopefully not much.