NTFS / Vista Restore problems

If you have a question about a file system (for example xfs, reiserfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

steve

NTFS / Vista Restore problems

Post by steve » Sun May 11, 2008 6:27 am

I have been using PartImage for some time and have successfully restored an XP image onto my laptop (NTFS) without any problems.

However recent attempts to restore a Vista image onto my desktop (also NTFS) have failed.

One image resulted in Vista not booting. Another image boots but has serious problems. Running checkdisk resulted in numerous errors including security ID's being replaced with default values and many orphan files being identified. Some device drivers are not working and some executables will not load. For example running "NET /?" from a command window results in a "Program too big to fit in memory" error. The virtual memory settings are fine. Also "Microsoft Automatic Updates" will fail on most (but not all) updates.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve

Shunter

Post by Shunter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:25 pm

The problem is simple...

NTFS in Vista has changed. NTFS support in Partimage has not. It doesn't understand the filesystem.

steve

Post by steve » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:07 pm

I figured that was the problem.

I tried rebuilding partimage and using my build. That seemed to work OK.

I've now started using SysRescueCD 1.0.2 - PartImage also seems to work from here.

So far I've created a Vista image and restored it to a USB drive. I've then run CHKDSK on the image from Vista without problems. I haven't booted into a restored image yet.

Cheers,

Steve

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Situation has not changed on my desktop (Vista Home Premium). However I have bought a Samsung Q320 laptop and upgraded to Vista Ultimate. This has the same problem again :-(

I can backup a Vista partition fine. But after restoring CHKDSK reports huge number of corruptions.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:46 pm

I have the same problem with Windows Vista.
First I partitioned and formatted the disc using the Vista Startup Recovery CD, making sure to get a working MBR. Then I recovered the Windows partition, which failed to boot. Using the Startup Recovery CD, I was able to fix the BCD. Chkdsk did not report any error. Access to drive C looks fine. But anyway, instead of booting, the boot loader only reports "read error, press Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot". I also tried to boot that restored partition via grub2 without success.
Does anybody know a free alternative to make a bootable set of recovery DVD's? Im really interested in it because a normal reinstallation using the recovery DVD from my Notebook manufacturer is always followed by a 10-hour session of installing updates.

thu08

Post by thu08 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:14 am

i have the same problem with Vista... thank 4 sharing...
still cannot fix the problem... maybe i will choose using windows 7.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:40 pm

Windows 7 contains a Tool to create recovery images and a boot CD that contains the required restore utility. I just tried it on my wifes computer, works pretty good.

I read that some Vista version contain that utiliy also, but my Notebook doesnt have it :cry:

Anyway, in a local multimedia store, I found an old version of Norton Ghost that supports Vista and costs only 15 EUR. So I grabbed this one and it works fine. The documentation says that the copy protection and registration limits installation onto a single computer. However, the main features can be used without installation on any computer, just simply boot from the CD.
Last edited by [email protected] on Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.