RAID 1 TO NON RAID (SINGLE HDD)

If you have a question about a file system (for example xfs, reiserfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

buzzhost

RAID 1 TO NON RAID (SINGLE HDD)

Post by buzzhost » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Hi and sorry for just barging in here like an Oaf!

I'm struggling to do something (I think) should be easy - but I'm not entirely sure I have a clue what I am doing.

I can use partimage just fine, I love it to bits. For most of the things I need to do I cannot fault it at all. One thing completely stumps me.

I have a pair of 250gb SATA discs on a RAID 1. I want to remove one of these discs which will leave the RAID running in 'degraded' mode. This is not really ideal and I want to convert the unit to single drive. The problem I seem to get is that partimage is doing as it is told and copying the disc as a mirror of fs type Linux RAID. I know that is what you would expect an imaging tool to do. Can anyone suggest a way for an idiot like me (I'm ok in the command line - just struggle with disc/raid concepts a bit) to 'duplicate' the disc but not retain the LINUX RAID FS? Basically I want to 'move' the contents to the same disc layout but non-raid. DD is no help to me as it retains the whole of the block info. Is there a tool to do this? Can I do this with Partimage at all?

I know it's a dumb question, but I'm dumb.

zaph0d

Also need help with RAID 1 to non RAID

Post by zaph0d » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:33 am

I have striped drives and want to switch to non-RAID.
I imaged the Windows boot partition no problems, but I'm not sure if I will be able to restore the image to a single drive.

Does anyone know if this will work before I remove my RAID array?

TIA
-Z

feffer

Post by feffer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:14 pm

These questions are similar. Since cloning apps like partimage and dd copy partitions at the block level, they get everything on the partition. So to move from a raid to a non-raid, you need a different tool that copies at the filesystem level. Try something like rsync to do this. There's lots of documentation online about rsync, so read that first!

You can run rsync directly from a running linux system, and I think from windows as well with some additional software. However, a better way might be to run it from a live CD like knoppix or similar. You might have to restore the boot partition of the target drive, but there's lots of info online about that too.

Once you have a bootable non-raid disk, you can use partimage or dd to save/restore images of it. Hope this helps.

feffer