Help with virtual guests

If you have a question about a file system (for example xfs, reiserfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

Lelor

Help with virtual guests

Post by Lelor » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Hello :)

I want to use your software to reduce the size of virtual image files. This is the process I intend to use ...

I am using Red Hat with KVM (Kernel Virtual Manager)

1. I would first modify the virtual machine to add a second virtual hard disk (IMG file) that is smaller than the original virtual hard disk.

2. Boot that virtual machine using your .ISO file

3. Replicate the larger virtual original hard disk to the smaller secondary new virtual hard disk.

4. Adjust the properties of the virtual machine so that the secondary new virtual hard disk is now the main system disk and eliminate the original larger original virtual hard disk.

The result would be a reduction in the size of the virtual drive to make things more manageable.

I guess the question boils down to this ...
Can I replicate from a larger partition to a smaller partition using your software ?

Your help would be greatly appreciated ....

Thanks

feffer

Post by feffer » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 am

Can I replicate from a larger partition to a smaller partition using your software ?
Ignoring the first part of your post which I have no idea about, the short answer is no. You can restore a saved image file only to a partition the same size or larger.

There is a workaround though, if your data size permits. Restore the image to a same/larger partition and then resize the partition smaller using gparted or similar.

It might be easier to resize from within your virtual machine software. For instance I believe vmware and virtualbox have that functionality. Good luck!