Is partition boot sector included in image ?

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

CaptainBlood

Is partition boot sector included in image ?

Postby CaptainBlood » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 pm

Hi,
Plz excuse me if I'm wrong but according to my understanding of the documentation, it remains uncertain whether partition boot sector is included in the backup image or not.

Plz note that i'm not talking about MBR, but at partition level.

Thanks for your attention.

feffer

Postby feffer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Partimage copies "block by block" so everything on a given partition is cloned exactly including things like UUID numbers etc. As a result, when an image is restored to a new/different partition, it may not boot until the bootloader is altered to point to it. Hope this helps. If not, please explain what you are having a problem with.

arkkimede

Postby arkkimede » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:55 pm

I have the same problem.
I cloned an USB device able to boot (is an Xp installer) but the new USB device (IDENTICAL to the previous one in size and trade mark) does not boot?

A clone with dd (copy byte a byte) run correctly.

Partimage looks a bit more evolute to dd but how to be sure to restore "all"
parts of the device (hard disk, usb, etc.)

bcinteractive

Postby bcinteractive » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:38 pm

feffer wrote:Partimage copies "block by block" so everything on a given partition is cloned exactly including things like UUID numbers etc. As a result, when an image is restored to a new/different partition, it may not boot until the bootloader is altered to point to it. Hope this helps. If not, please explain what you are having a problem with.

Looking for a step by step instruction on copying a debian system into a new computer (same model/specification) using partimage.....

Return to “Miscellanous”