recursively reloading a clean partition image?

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

questioneer

recursively reloading a clean partition image?

Postby questioneer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:15 am

hi guys, I've been searching for a while but was tired of reading to google, so maybe someone can help;

is there any way/technique/program that allows for a system to automatically dump its current partition (after it is used and changes occur) and revert to a safe "master" partition image that was created containing just the OS and essential software, so that every time the computer is restarted, the OS reloads that "master" uncompromised image?

I am almost sure i read about a tool that did just this hosted on sourceforge (except it didnt encrypt the "master" image) but i completely forgot the name and source...

anyway, thanks!

feffer

Postby feffer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:35 pm

If it's a Windows system, use System Restore. Also there are a couple of proprietary products like Faronics Deep Freeze and Rollback RX. I have no experience with either of these. You'll have to do your own research.

Partimage might be used to do this, but it would be kludgey at best. Assuming you have Windows XP or Linux OS (but not on ext4), you could get the system optimized, reboot to a live CD like RescueCD with partimage on it, image the target system and save it to another location. Then you could reboot the windows/linux machine and work on it. After finishing, shut it down, reboot with RescueCd and restore the saved image over the windows/linux partition. Do this each time you use the computer. Obviously, it is doable, but no one will want to go through the trouble. If you have a Windows 7, Mac OS, or linux on ext4, it won't even be possible.

feffer

questioneer

type of app

Postby questioneer » Fri May 07, 2010 8:55 am

it's not really a windows app. It was more of a Boot Configuration and set of scripts for Unix/Windows/FreeBSD that upon even logging off, most settings would be reverted, and upon restart, that system would reload the "master" partition and re enable a clean system.

I'm pretty sure I've seen it at kiosks at libraries, particularly around boston; but I am currently not in an educational IT setting, where inhouse solutions like these are common practice to avoid wouldbe hackers.

Anyway, thanks alot. Oh, and if anyone knows of a similar solution, even if just OS dependent or protocol to follow, let me know. Im pretty sure the unmount-format OS partition part of the scripts are simple; Im just not sure how to reboot and enable partition decryption, selection, loading and booting, or at least the fastest way & practical way

well, thanks again!

Return to “Miscellanous”