pick a single file out of an img-file?

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

simon1991

pick a single file out of an img-file?

Postby simon1991 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:13 pm

hi!

i used partimage to create an image of an ext3 linux partition. now i need a single file out of this image but i don't have the space to restore the hole thing to a hdd. is there a solution to that?

i tried iso-buster, but it doesn't show the original filesystem (like it was shown under linux). i don't know if it's because it refuses to open archives (without paying), or if it just doesn't understand the format and displays nonsense.

thanks for your time
simon

Hartmut

Re: pick a single file out of an img-file?

Postby Hartmut » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:42 pm

simon1991 wrote:hi!

i used partimage to create an image of an ext3 linux partition. now i need a single file out of this image but i don't have the space to restore the hole thing to a hdd. is there a solution to that?

i tried iso-buster, but it doesn't show the original filesystem (like it was shown under linux). i don't know if it's because it refuses to open archives (without paying), or if it just doesn't understand the format and displays nonsense.

thanks for your time
simon

partimage doesn't create a filesystem in its stored files. This is a block-by-block image of the partition, including the geometry and administrative blocks of the filesystem (inodes and so on). There are also some Informations from partimage in the file that do not have anything to do with filesystem (you see it with the command "file filename"). So it is not meant as a backup media just like tapes, or CD/DVD-iso.

Return to “Miscellanous”