Moderator: feffer

Jhon115

ext4

Post by Jhon115 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:31 pm

hi im new here and am itching to know why partimage cant support ext4 files

bridgettethompsonn

Re: ext4

Post by bridgettethompsonn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:23 am

I also have this question, why partimage cant support ext4 files? Thanks!

Admin Note: Partimage has not been under active development for some time. It will support ext3 and some use it successfully on non-supported filesystems, but you're on your own in that case.

osdude

Post by osdude » Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:45 pm

What would it take for the programmer(s) to resume development or update partimage? Including support for ext4 and btrfs and update your boot image to use Kernel version 3.10.x?

Asking kindly and respectfully,

Mike
(I used to use your Disk frequently at my last job c.2001)

feffer

Post by feffer » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:41 pm

As I understand, the main developer, Francois Dupoux, began work on fsarchiver to fill a similar function but at the file level instead of the block level. Personally, I switched over to fsarchiver to backup my operating systems though I was a partimage user for years before. It has worked fine for me. Although he may update partimage again, he hasn't for a few years before ext4's intro. So whether he has completely lost interest or just put it on the way back burner, I don't know. He does, however, keep it on SystemRescueCD which he also administers. The source code is available and I understand that there have been several attempts to rewrite and update it, but I'm not aware that any of these have come to fruition.

So there are several possibilities: 1) wait for Francois to update it; maybe a long wait; 2) If you're a developer, do it yourself, many people would be grateful; 3) Try fsarchiver and see if it fits your needs; 4) Try partimage on a non-supported basis.

Concerning #4: non-supported just means that no one will help you in your attempts, not that it won't work. I don't know whether there is some obstacle that would make ext4 fail or not. Some people have reported using it successfully on ext4 and newer systems like Win7. I don't know if this is true, though and I've never tried it. I think you would have to use the command line instead of the ncurses interface. I don't think the code would handle filesystems like btrfs and other new ones at all.

Let us know what you decide and how it works.
admin