Partimage Restore from Multiple CDs

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

jmc

Partimage Restore from Multiple CDs

Post by jmc » Mon Jul 12, 2004 7:17 pm

I have created a partition image that spans three files; I have burned the files on 3 CDs. I am wanting to restore the partition from the images on the CDs by reading the CDs one at a time.

I boot on SysRescCD using 'cdcache' and I am able to begin the restore on the first CD, but I am having troubles resuming with the second CD.

I have tried using the 'automount' option, and it seems to allow me to mount the second CD, but the restore operation soon fails with "Impossible to find a local check structure. Data may be damaged".

Does anybody have any experience with restoring from multiple CDs? Also, is there any actual documentation on the 'automnt' option. The "--help" option text indicated that it is documented somewhere, but I cannot find it.

Thanks for any help.

DW

multi CD restore

Post by DW » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:11 pm

This forum appears to be dotted with stories just like your.
I get the impression that multi-CD restores was (is?) problematic.
Judging by the ChangeLog, anything after (and including) Version 0.6.3.b12 should work.
What version are you using?

jmc

Post by jmc » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:27 pm

I am using version 0.6.4, but I have actually now determined that the problem is not in the restore itself - but rather in the image files that I initially created. It seems that the second volume of the image was, in fact, corrupt (I could not restore from it when reading the files with partimaged via the network; it failed in exactly the same way as the CD restore).

So, I created a second set of partition images, verified them with a restore with the '-S' option, and then put them on 3 CDs. The restore is now working and it seems to do a reasonably good job of prompting me to insert the next CD (it even recovers nicely if I insert the wrong CD).

The command I am using for restore is:
partimage -w -a"/dev/cdrom#/mnt/cdrom#iso9660" restore /dev/hda2 /mnt/cdrom/root.img.000

So the only problem now seems to be that I was able to create a corrupt set of partition images without any obvious error being reported by partimage. In the future, I will do a verify with the -S option after creating images.

Thanks for the help.