Backup of Ubuntu 12.04 root Server

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

franc

Backup of Ubuntu 12.04 root Server

Post by franc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:18 pm

Hello,

I am searching for a backup solution for my virtual root Server Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (without X11).
The server is a root server but physically it is just a virtual server (something with bare metal from Parallels I think).

The space on hdd is about 1TB, but only about 8% is used, so the image shouldn't be too big, I guess 50 GB only.

There is an implemented solution from the provider (host europe) called "Permanent Snapshot" where I can make a snapshot image from the whole server.
But the server goes offline for about 2 hours then. Not a good way to backup, even when doing it during the night.

So I found partimage 0.6.8 and I read that I can make an image while running.
Now I have a basic question: can I save an image on the drive I just want to backup?
I get errors when trying.

What is best practice?

Thank,

frank

feffer

Re: Backup of Ubuntu 12.04 root Server

Post by feffer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 pm

If I understand, you are trying to save an image of your server on the server hdd itself. Is that right? It's possible, but not a good idea for if the drive itself fails, all is lost. It's better to save your image to a different drive. Also note that partimage wants the "source" (partition to be imaged) unmounted. That may be why you're getting an error. Finally, if your drive is formatted ext4, then partimage may work, but is not supported. Take a look at the partimage manual -- link at the top of the forum page. Bottom line: partimage may work fine for you, but you should consider the pros and cons.

Also consider some alternatives. If you must back up a running server or other machine, rsync works well. If you are only interested in the data, then rsync for sure. If you only want the system, and can script to temporarily dismount that partition, then fsarchiver (newer software done by the partimage developer) might be a good choice.

franc

Re: Backup of Ubuntu 12.04 root Server

Post by franc » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:19 pm

I have understand.

Thank you very much for the Information.

Frank