restoring images that have been split into multiple volumes

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

restoring images that have been split into multiple volumes

Post by guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:59 pm

I've used partimage to successfully back up and restore single volume images. I now have a partition that's over 2GB. I have no problem saving the partition and partimage splits it into two volumes (<filename>.000 and <filename>.001) as expected. When I try to restore, however, it only recognizes the first disk.

How do I get the program to change files after the first one's finished? Does it have something to do with the automount option? I've R'd every FM I can find but can't find any details on that.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:23 pm

Never mind. It's suddenly started picking up the second image automatically. I have no idea why.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:19 am

I've the same problem ....
i don't understand too ! ...
when it ends with img.000 , it stops .. :(

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:51 am

That is exactly my question. I fully expected that it would eject the CD and ask for the second to be inserted, but it just complained that it couldn't find the next file. Is Partimage designed to restore from multiple CD's, or does it expect you first to copy all the CDs to a another HD partition and then restore the damaged partition from there? I don't find an answer in the documentation.

Thank you!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 26, 2005 12:16 am

Lauren wrote:That is exactly my question. I fully expected that it would eject the CD and ask for the second to be inserted, but it just complained that it couldn't find the next file. Is Partimage designed to restore from multiple CD's, or does it expect you first to copy all the CDs to a another HD partition and then restore the damaged partition from there? I don't find an answer in the documentation.

Thank you!
Well, I've tried it some more, and I've studied the implications of the manual, and I think the answer is that it won't restore from the CD, at least using the GUI. Elsewhere at:
http://www.partimage.org/forums/viewtop ... a327add617
the statement is that it works from the command line, but I'm not going to risk my system with something I don't understand. In that same thread the statement is made that:
DW wrote:Judging by the ChangeLog, anything after (and including) Version 0.6.3.b12 should work.

I'm using 0.6.4, and it doesn't work from the GUI. So the answer is to copy all the CDs to a partition that is not to be backed up, and the use Partimage to restore partitions from there.
Lauren

jurij

Post by jurij » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:50 pm

You can try other tool which do the similar job but can restore from splitted chunks with no problem :-)

http://www.device-image.de

regards,
jurij

darken

Post by darken » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:04 pm

jurij, you don't help here very much with just pasting
your device-image.de advertisement all around the forums
no offence, but partimage is much more evolved that device-image
as I see it!
PJ