back to back partimage's produce drastically different file

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

mrconover

back to back partimage's produce drastically different file

Post by mrconover » Thu Nov 18, 2004 3:50 pm

I have been using partimage for some time with much success. I have an issue with distibuting these images out to alot of computers on our network. This would be great if I could get it to work with rsync like everything else we do. The problem is when you create one partimage of an ext2 filesystem unmounted and then create another at another time (even back to back) the files are completely different. The fail the incremental checks and rsync is forced to do a 1 to 1 transfer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this. I have done some testing and still do not have a good solution. Without compression on the image there are still differences but not as much.

apiening

Post by apiening » Wed May 23, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi,

I've found this thread by the forum search looking for a solution to the exact same problem.

I thought that the image file compression could be the reason for the complete different image files but in my tests even without compression (-z0) the parts of the image that have not changed after imaging the same partition just a few hours later are less than 10%. I don't know anything about the format partimage stores it's image file but when it works linear which I expect I can't understand why the image files are changing that much.

This thread is stone age old, but the problem is pretty essential to me since I want to do a daily backup of virtual machines over a DSL-connection and I can't do a full transfer of the image due to a limited time-window outside the working hours.

Please can someone confirm if doing incremental image transfers with partimage are possible at all? If not, is there any solution out there for this setup?

Thank you very much!

Andreas