thanks a lot!

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

Philipp

thanks a lot!

Post by Philipp » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:02 am

No problems here. Just want to say thank you. :)

My story: I'm using partimage to backup my gentoo-powered laptop for a while now. I'm using it via systemrescuecd and it works great. This weekend I had to repair the computer of my girlfriend: Her PC's harddisk started to make strange noises and windows showed its famous bluescreen from time to time. She is currently finishing her thesis - so it was very important to get her computer running as soon as possible. It was Saturday 10 pm when windows showed its bluescreen and did not boot any more - the harddisk was screaming like a little bird :) As I had good experiences with partimage I decided to try to save the whole windows installation to my laptop. Her harddisk was an almost full 20 GB NTFS partition under windows xp. It took about 2 hours to do the whole backup. Then I exchanged the corrupted harddisk with a 60 GB Maxtor which was lying around at home. One hour later the partition was restored and some minutes later, after running fixboot with XP Installation disk and after doing a filesystem check, the system was up and running again. Thanks a lot - partimage is a great tool!

Greetings
Philipp

ps: my girlfriend sends you (developers of partimge) 1000 Kisses and many, many thank yous !! ;)