How to restore to a smaller partition than before?

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

Sebastian

How to restore to a smaller partition than before?

Post by Sebastian » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:06 pm

Hello,

for some reason i had to restore a partimage-image of a 35GB-Partition to a 15GB-Partition. The Data in the Image was smaller than 15GB.
Partimage unfortunately said that this dont work because the partitions are different and I didnt found a flag to override this proof.

Is there a way to override it?

Because of that i lucky I didnt retired Ghost because with it I can restore all the files as files (as disk dont work too). I do it at the moment and hope the system will work with it.

So I think partimage doesnt offer a way to do it similar isnt it?

Because of that I thought about doing it another way. I thought about simply copying all the files (the newer ntfs-program seems goog enough) and to pack it together after that.
I think when I go in Win2k and simply mark everything on the systempartition and copy it it wouldnt be the same when i restore it to a formatted partition isnt it? Some Files werent copied or have other flags or am I wrong?
But with the SystemRescueCd this could work? Could I mount the ntfs-System and simply copying all into another mounted disk and directory? And would it be fully the same when I would restore it to a formatted ntfs-Partition?

At the moment for me the only disadvantage of partimage is that it cant restore single files and that it cant restore data to a smaller partition when it is needed and could be done...

Hope someone will answer...

Greetings!
Sebastian

cheche

Post by cheche » Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi,
restore this image on a HD with space, then use parted, gparted or other similar program to resize the partition. Use partimage again, but this partition is smaller than before.

good luck

steph33560

Post by steph33560 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:38 pm

Hi

I've got the same question here.

I've backup a hard drive containing 5Go of datas. Those data were on a 80Go partition.
When I want to restore the datas on a new disk, on a partion of 20Go, partimage says I can't restore.

Is there a possibility to override this check ?
Otherwise, is there a possibilit to use partimage files (gzip) and uncompress them manually ?

Thanks a lot !

BrianBaas

Is there a better answer to this?

Post by BrianBaas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:16 pm

Is there an answer to this?

It seems that crushing the partition size to the data size before using partimage is a pain.

I know this is an old question. I wondered if anyone had a better answer,

feffer

Post by feffer » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:16 pm

Is there an answer to this? It seems that crushing the partition size to the data size before using partimage is a pain. I know this is an old question. I wondered if anyone had a better answer.
In short, no. Programs like partimage that copy at the block level create images of a partition -- hence the name.
cheche's answer is still valid.
restore this image on a HD with space, then use parted, gparted or other similar program to resize the partition. Use partimage again, but this partition is smaller than before.
However, if the partition in question is a "data" only one, there is a better way. Use another copy program to do it! For example rsync, cp or even drop and drag in a gui file-manager. Partimage provides no particular advantage for a data only partition. If the partition is one with an operating system on it and/or it should be bootable, then partimage is very useful.

feffer

BrianBaas

Thanks ->

Post by BrianBaas » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:57 pm

This is what I thought. This seems like a very definitive answer. THANKS!