Create Image on USB Drive

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

blegs38552

Create Image on USB Drive

Postby blegs38552 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:45 pm

I am a newbie to all of this, so please be patient.

I have a USB drive named WD backup connected to my PC. The drive is partioned as NTFS.

I want to create a backup image on this drive. However, when I did, using /media/wd backup as my target, the backup was created in my Ubuntu root directory in a folder name WD backup.

How should I type in the "image file create/use" field to assure that the image will be created on my removable drive?

Also, when I type the file name, should I use the "gz" extension after the file name in the same field?

Thanks for any help - I know this is a basic question, but I have to start somewhere.

feffer

Postby feffer » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Your windows partition (the source) must be unmounted, but the target USB drive needs to be mounted. Make sure you have the correct path to the USB drive. Unix/Linux must escape "white" space in filenames, so make life easier and rename your USB drive something like "wd_backup" Test your path by creating a file like:

Code: Select all

touch /media/wd_backup/testfile
If the file is created on your USB then you have the path right and can use it in partimage. Name your image file and add that to the partimage "create" line, like:

Code: Select all

/media/wd_backup/myimagefile.gz
And yes if you're using compression, you have to add the ".gz" Note that using partimage for ntfs partitions can be problematic.

Regards,
feffer

blegs38552

Postby blegs38552 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks - I want to use Partimage to back up mu Ubuntu partition, not a windows partition. I see what you mean about renaming my USB drive, but does my source Ubuntu drive have to be unmounted? When I try this, I am told that the drive is in use and cannot be unmounted.

feffer

Postby feffer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:19 am

I have a USB drive named WD backup connected to my PC. The drive is partioned as NTFS.
OK, sorry, I misread your first post. You will need to have an ext3 partition to save your Ubuntu image -- NTFS will not work. You can either reformat the whole USB drive or make a separate partition on it for ext3.

...does my source Ubuntu drive have to be unmounted? When I try this, I am told that the drive is in use and cannot be unmounted.
Yes, the source drive must be unmounted. Of course, you cannot unmount the drive you booted from. If you dual boot with another linux, you can run partimage from there, but if Ubuntu is the only linux on your system, you'll need to boot from a CD which has partimage on it.

If you don't want to do that, you could use an app like rsync which can be run from a booted system. It copies at the "file" level, so there's a bit more work to do for a "bare-metal" restore, but many people use it. There are even some nice gui frontends to rsync.

Regards,
feffer

blegs38552

Partimage

Postby blegs38552 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 am

I found an old boot CD of Acronis True Image that allowed me to back up the Ubuntu images to my USB Drive. Even though this is a NTFS formatted drive, should this still work and should I be able to restore the partition for this backup?

feffer

Postby feffer » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:45 am

I said above, NTFS will not work, but in fact it may. Only way to know is try it and see.

blegs38552

Restore from NTFS

Postby blegs38552 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:24 am

It works.

I first installed Ubuntu from the installation CD.

I booted from the Acronis recovery CD and restored the image that I created this morning. Rebooted and had my original installation back.

feffer

Postby feffer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:09 pm

To anyone reading this thread, please note that blegs38552 used an Acronis recovery CD to create his image. This is a proprietary app, not partimage. So while it's nice that he got it to work, partimage users should not assume that they can save their linux image to an ntfs formatted partition. Since partimage works at the block level, this may work, but I don't know that it's been tested.

Regards,
feffer

Habbakuk

Postby Habbakuk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:15 am

feffer wrote:To anyone reading this thread, please note that blegs38552 used an Acronis recovery CD to create his image. This is a proprietary app, not partimage. So while it's nice that he got it to work, partimage users should not assume that they can save their linux image to an ntfs formatted partition. Since partimage works at the block level, this may work, but I don't know that it's been tested.

Regards,
feffer

Yes, I have tested this and Linux does not work on NTFS. I am curious though, you said,
"I said above, NTFS will not work, but in fact it may. "
replica watches replica watch rolex replica watches replica watch swiss watch replicas

Could you expound on this. When I tried, it didn't work at all but is there a workaround, or some way to make it work without a recovery CD or the like?

Return to “Miscellanous”