PartImage backs up more data than there is

Other questions, messages

Moderator: feffer

pannsoln

PartImage backs up more data than there is

Post by pannsoln » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:55 am

I've used PartImage (with SysRescCD) for some time, successfully.

A friend asked me to set up his new Windows Vista computer for him, which I've done. Of course, I wish to back it up in case of any problems.

But, I'm getting a strange problem. GParted reports 20Gb used on the NTFS partition -- this is about right -- but when I start PartImage, it reports 61Gb used.

I don't want to waste my time backing up 61Gb of data when the partition has only about 20Gb.

Do you know what might be happening and how I can solve this?

feffer

Post by feffer » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:54 pm

Not enough info to know for sure but here are some possibilities. Partimage backs up filesystems block by block, but should only do those that have data. Perhaps this is happening because the filesystem is fragmented. Try defragging. Some Windows machines come with hidden recovery areas. My old WinXP machine had a hidden partition. Perhaps something like that is causing partimage to report a larger source. Or perhaps, partimage is just seeing it wrong--try looking at the system with something like gparted or fdisk.

pannsoln

Post by pannsoln » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:34 pm

No luck, sad to say.

I had Windows run CheckDisk on all partitions (one hidden WinRE, one C: Vista and one E: Data), cleaned up with both Disk Cleanup and CCleaner, and thoroughly defragmented them with both Auslogics and Windows's build-in defrag.

These are the sizes in Gb that Windows, GParted and PartImage report:

Code: Select all

Partition   Windows  GParted  PartImage
----------  -------  -------  ---------
WinRE          n/a     0.50      0.24
Vista (C:)   19.70    19.35     58.78
Data (E:)     5.27     5.27     48.40
You'll notice that PartImage loses over half the WinRE partition, and invents double the Vista partition and 8 times the Data partition.

I shall try CloneZilla (if I can figure out how to work it) to see what happens.

pannsoln

Post by pannsoln » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:29 pm

Update:

I figured out how to use CloneZilla, and it is reporting sensible results on C: and D: (see following). However, it agrees with PartImage that WinRE has only half the amount of data that GParted says it has. I wonder what gives?

Code: Select all

Partition   Windows  GParted  PartImage  CloneZilla
----------  -------  -------  ---------  ----------
WinRE          n/a     0.50      0.24       0.24
Vista (C:)   19.70    19.35     58.78      23.31
Data (E:)     5.27     5.27     48.40       5.23
PartImage seems to be doing something odd. So, I guess I'll have to use CloneZilla from now on -- unless someone on the forum can let me know what's happening and how to fix it.

jbassett

Re: PartImage backs up more data than there is

Post by jbassett » Thu May 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello

Same issue for me, did you ever manage to find/resolve the issue with Partimage?

Regards

Jason

pannsoln

Post by pannsoln » Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 pm

Jason, I did not resolve this. In fact, I had forgotten about this thread altogether — I don't even remember creating it!

However, I have used CloneZilla [1] many times, and RedoBackup [2] occasionally, both successfully.

RedoBackup is much more user-friendly, but very restricted; it backs up and restores the entire disk, always. I personally prefer CloneZilla because of its flexibility.

[1] http://www.clonezilla.org/
[2] http://redobackup.org/

jbassett

Post by jbassett » Fri May 03, 2013 1:01 pm

Hello

I encountered the issue with Windows 7 initially and then yesterday Windows XP showed the problem.

I managed to reduce the drive partition size (using gparted) from 160GB to 40GB (with 25GB of data on it). I don't need the other space at the moment anyway.

Imagiing was then successful with only the 25GB of data being reported as copying.

Once I have restored a machine I can always expand the drive size again as it happens to quickly.

Jason

pannsoln

Post by pannsoln » Fri May 03, 2013 2:32 pm

jbassett wrote:Once I have restored a machine I can always expand the drive size again…
I presume you mean expand the partition.

You can safely restore to a larger partition, but not to a smaller partition. So, if you've backed up a 40Gb partition, you can safely restore to a partition 40Gb or larger.

jbassett

Post by jbassett » Fri May 03, 2013 3:10 pm

You are right, I refer to the partition.

I reduce the size to say 40GB for imaging, for a restore I restore to a 40GB or larger drive and then if space available use Parted to expand the restored partition, thus elimating the issue we seem to have with Partimage.

Jason

pannsoln

Post by pannsoln » Fri May 03, 2013 3:24 pm

I understand now.

As I wrote before, I use CloneZilla; I find it easier than worrying about these problems.

As with PartImage, CloneZilla backs up only the used space, not the unused space. It has worked very well for me on different machines, partitioning, and operating systems (Windows XP, Vista and 7; Ubuntu various versions).