image from another linux

Messages about how to use partimage across a network (with the partimaged server, samba, nfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

fistroman

image from another linux

Postby fistroman » Sun May 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Hello!

just a "simple" question... I would like to make an image of a linux system which is located in a remote computer directly from my computer running linux (andLinux over Windows). Could you please tell me how to do that? everything I found is more related to running partimage from the client... in my case the linux system is located in a datacenter/housing and I would like to do the image from my computer at our office.

best

Jaime.

feffer

Postby feffer » Mon May 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Partimage has networking capability. As noted in the link it requires installation of partimaged on the server machine, which in this case would be your home computer. Obviously, one has to have access/permission to work on both the server and client side. Partimage only wants to work on unmounted partitions, so again you would need to have permission and access to the remote machine to unmount it. Additionally, partimage is no longer under active development and does not support imaging of newer filesystems like ext4. If none of the above are obstacles, you can certainly image a remote partition -- just follow the manual notes.

Regards,
feffer

Return to “Usage across network”