Different Architectures

Messages about how to use partimage across a network (with the partimaged server, samba, nfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

rhairyes

Different Architectures

Postby rhairyes » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:27 pm

Hello all,

Sorry if this is a dumb question and has been answered. I've been looking for the answer myself but have yet to come up with an answer. I was wondering if it is possible to run the partimage server and client on different architectures. I have a SPARC system running Ubuntu 8.04 with partimage 0.6.9 installed. I used the same source tree to build the client on my Ubuntu 10.10 system (Intel PC). I wanted to be able to store x86 images on the SPARC system. Should the 0.6.9 Intel partimage client be able to connect to a SPARC 0.6.9 server without issue? Thanks.

feffer

Postby feffer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:07 pm

I don't think it should be a problem. Easy enough to test. There could be an issue though if the partition you want to image is not a supported one (like ext4). See the manual for this info.

rhairyes

Postby rhairyes » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:29 pm

feffer wrote:I don't think it should be a problem. Easy enough to test. There could be an issue though if the partition you want to image is not a supported one (like ext4). See the manual for this info.

Thanks for your reply. I've had a little issue with getting the client to push/pull an image from the SPARC system. When I tested between two Intel systems, everything worked as it should. When I tried between the SPARC and Intel client ... I received a "Please wait..." message after filling out the connection/image name information. The SPARC partimaged server connection screen shows the client connected but the client never "flips over" to imaging. If I kill the server I receive a message starting that I had entered an invalid password or the user is not in the file yet I was running both client and server with the -L -n option.

feffer

Postby feffer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:46 am

You might be able to get this working, but if it seems resistant, there is a workaround. Instead of using the client-server model, just install partimage on the client. Then run a script on the server -- see this link. However, this depends upon the client being a dual/multi (linux) boot machine as Partimage wants to image unmounted partitions.

Again, be sure you are trying to image a supported filesystem like ext3.

rhairyes

Postby rhairyes » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm

feffer wrote:You might be able to get this working, but if it seems resistant, there is a workaround. Instead of using the client-server model, just install partimage on the client. Then run a script on the server -- see this link. However, this depends upon the client being a dual/multi (linux) boot machine as Partimage wants to image unmounted partitions.

Again, be sure you are trying to image a supported filesystem like ext3.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I should have been a little more clear on what I'm doing. The partimage client is running in a preboot environment (Ubuntu). I'm using it to take/push images of systems that have NTFS file systems. Partimage client can detect that the drives are NTFS, so I'm assuming that its supported correctly. Like I said before, copying this way from Intel based PC to Intel based PC works just fine. It's just going from Intel to SPARC.

Hartmut

Postby Hartmut » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 pm

rhairyes wrote:Thanks for the link. I'll check it out. I should have been a little more clear on what I'm doing. The partimage client is running in a preboot environment (Ubuntu). I'm using it to take/push images of systems that have NTFS file systems. Partimage client can detect that the drives are NTFS, so I'm assuming that its supported correctly. Like I said before, copying this way from Intel based PC to Intel based PC works just fine. It's just going from Intel to SPARC.

Did you try a debug mode?
My guess of the problem is an incorrect login - handling. And it seems the SPARC accepted the connection, but the client is not aware of this (communication problem?), so I guess the way back ("OK, send the datas") could be a problem.
What is the server option you are using? Login disabled when compiling?

CU
Hartmut

rhairyes

Postby rhairyes » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:45 pm

Hartmut wrote:Did you try a debug mode?
My guess of the problem is an incorrect login - handling. And it seems the SPARC accepted the connection, but the client is not aware of this (communication problem?), so I guess the way back ("OK, send the datas") could be a problem.
What is the server option you are using? Login disabled when compiling?

CU
Hartmut

I have not tried debug mode. Not really sure how to do that. I'll look it up. I compiled both the client in server with the default options. I've tried to run both client and server with the -L -n option (no ssl or login), -L (no login only), and -n (no ssl only). I get the farthest progress by leaving both SSL and login enabled.

Hartmut

Postby Hartmut » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:12 pm

rhairyes wrote:I have not tried debug mode. Not really sure how to do that. I'll look it up. I compiled both the client in server with the default options. I've tried to run both client and server with the -L -n option (no ssl or login), -L (no login only), and -n (no ssl only). I get the farthest progress by leaving both SSL and login enabled.

Before compiling using the configure command with options:
--enable-devel Enable developpers options (debug, ...)
--with-debug-level=X default debut level used to write the debug logfile 1

Return to “Usage across network”