Can Partimage clone across a network?

Messages about how to use partimage across a network (with the partimaged server, samba, nfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

bubba ho-tep

Can Partimage clone across a network?

Postby bubba ho-tep » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:03 am

Err I hope this isn't a stupid question..

Can partimage clone across a network? ie I've got Partimage installed on ComputerA and I want to clone ComputerB (which doesn't have Partimage installed)?

All the thread searches I did were about cloning on the computer with Partimage installed and sending the image to a server

BH-T

daffy

Postby daffy » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:31 am

You run partimaged on the server, partimage on the clients.

Partimage (which you run on the clients) lets you save/restore the partitions to/from the server.

mp

Broken

Postby mp » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Doesn't work.

I did battle with the client+server until way too late Monday night and found the following:

1. client doesn't have a nologin option
2. something about the default permissions on the users allowed file is not right because the server doesn't start and the documentation is pitifully vague on what the permissions should be.
3. No matter the user or password, the server rejects them. Is this a system user or what? Documentation doesn't specify.
4. Theoretically, the applications log when setting d=1 or d1 or whatever. Practically, it does not.

I can recommend bacula, though it's more complicated to set up. If you are familiar with symantec's tape backup application, you'll hook right into bacula. Better than the sleep I lost trying to save a disk.

steven

Re: Can Partimage clone across a network?

Postby steven » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:05 am

bubba ho-tep wrote:Err I hope this isn't a stupid question..

Can partimage clone across a network? ie I've got Partimage installed on ComputerA and I want to clone ComputerB (which doesn't have Partimage installed)?

All the thread searches I did were about cloning on the computer with Partimage installed and sending the image to a server

BH-T

Check clonezilla, http://clonezilla.sf.net.
There is a command "/opt/drbl/sbin/ocs-onthefly" may meets your need.

Postby 762 » Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:10 pm

I've been using partimage for imaging machines in my network and it works just fine.

I have a file server (Win2kServer) with a shared directory that I dump my images on.

When I want to image a particular machine I put in a knoppix disk and reboot.

I su to root and make an smb folder under /mnt

I mount the /mnt/smb folder to my shared directory and call partimage.

//------------------------------------------------
#su
#mkdir /mnt/smb
# mount -t smbfs -o username=administrator //machinename/sharename /mnt/smb

#partimage

partition to save/restore: sda1

image file to create/use: /mnt/smb/images/imagename

* restore partition to an image file
//------------------------------------------------------------

I use it for imaging both Linux and windows OS's
Interestingly enough it sorks on Vista too.

Return to “Usage across network”