I get wrong password when using partimaged over network

Messages about how to use partimage across a network (with the partimaged server, samba, nfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

ratte

I get wrong password when using partimaged over network

Postby ratte » Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:44 pm

Hi,

at my two machines:
1. gentoo
2. debian

I have partimage at version 0.6.4 and both logfiles say the same banner:
banner: 0.6.4 SSL LOG

I have two users at both partimagedusers files:
username
root

I get always "wrong password or user not in list" messages, no difference which machine acts as server. Both users (username, root) can ssh to the other machine.

What can be the reason, or how to find out what failes?

greetings from Braunschweig, Germany

jorgy

Seeing same behavior

Postby jorgy » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:13 am

Just for another data point, I am having the same problem. My server is a RH9 box with partimage 0.6.4 from source installed. The client is a knoppix 3.4 c't edition.

I added root, partimag, and my username to the partimagedusers file, but I can not get backups to go across the network. I can ssh to the host fine with the logins, and I can even telnet to port 4025 and get the correct banner, all from the client.

I suspect that this is a permissions issue, but I've looked everywhere.

Checked rights of the partimagedusers config file?

Postby guest » Mon May 24, 2004 1:06 pm

Checked rights of the partimagedusers config file? I just had this, and solved it by making partimage the owner of the config file and changing the rights to 0600.[/b]

jurgis

Postby jurgis » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:35 am

Didn't work for me. Anybody figure this out?

Also using Red Hat 9 and Knoppix 3.4. No problem ssh'ing or telnet'ing. Compiled the binaries by hand and made the certificates.

Cannot get it to work across the network. Continually says "incorrect password".

Set partimagedusers file to 600 with partimag as owner. No work.
Added all kinds of users. No work.
Changed passwords. No work.

Ideas? Would be nice to see if can do backup!

jurgis

Postby jurgis » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:38 pm

In reply to my own reply:

Hacking through the shared partimage code - found that the user password from the Knoppix client is being passed clear-text to the server. The authentication will never work because a strcmp is checking the encrypted shadow password against a clear text password. I re-configured partimage with pam support and the problem is the same in the pam authentication.

Verified the clear-text packet with ethereal on the client server end. I need to encrypt that password! Seems like openssl isn't working on the Knoppix end. Going to check this out...

Dusty

Postby Dusty » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:26 pm

chown partimag:partimag, chmod 600, worked for me on a Login NoSSL build.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:43 am

Dusty wrote:chown partimag:partimag, chmod 600, worked for me on a Login NoSSL build.

I am having the exact same problem as you guys. I am running a machine with Knoppix 3.8 and another with CentOS 4.0. I have everything setup correctly as far as I can tell and when I try to run partimage it says, "incorrect password or user not in partimagedusers file"

parimagedusers:
#sample # user 'sample' is allowed to connect partimaged
partimag
root

[[email protected] etc]# ls -l /etc/partimaged/
total 8
-rw------- 1 partimag partimag 184 Jun 16 05:18 partimagedusers

[[email protected] etc]# ls -ld /etc/partimaged/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 16 05:18 /etc/partimaged/

I really think this could be a great sysadmin utility, but seems far too flaky right now to be of practical use. If anyone has found a fix to this, please let me know. Thanks.

DW

Postby DW » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:16 pm

One solution: do not use partimaged. Just export a folder on the 2nd PC, and then use NFS to mount it on the 1st PC. The image file is then save to the 2nd PC, by saving to the mounted folder.

bcpayne

/etc/pam.d/partimage

Postby bcpayne » Wed May 23, 2007 11:38 am

Hi all,

I use Gentoo and the PAM plugin for partimage references a password db in /etc/partimaged but I cannot find any reference to this file nor it's format.

The /etc/pam.d/partimaged file is as follows:

auth required pam_unix.so
auth required pam.warn.so
auth sufficient pam_userdb.so \
db=/etc/partimaged/passwd
auth required pam_listfile.so \
onerr=fail item=user sense=allow \
file=/etc/partimaged/partimagedusers

account sufficient pam_userdb.so \
debug db=/etc/partimaged/passwd

Please advise ASAP.

Thanks

Brent

bbking

Postby bbking » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:44 am

same problem here with Kubuntu 7.04 and SuSE 10.2 (compiled myself), partimage 0.6.4

does it work with 0.6.5?

shouldn't this go to the BUGS (Unexpected errors during usage) forum?

thx in advance

livier

Postby livier » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:29 pm

jurgis wrote:... found that the user password from the Knoppix client is being passed clear-text to the server. The authentication will never work because a strcmp is checking the encrypted shadow password against a clear text password.

I agree with this analyse. My parimaged is on ubuntu, running partimage on knoppix gives the same problem ; running partimage on a other ubuntu seems working ...

But it is better to use partimage with a lice CD to backup hard disk... And Ubuntu live cd's does not have partimage :-(

An Idea for a practice solution ?

livier

Partimaged seem to be not a good server :(

Postby livier » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:42 pm

I answer myself because I found the solution :
It is not to use the server partimaged

Just using a shared folder.
I used NFS, but I found necessary to apply 'nolock' option while mounting ...

I understood that 'partimage' the client and 'partimaged' the server where not always compatible because of differences in compilation options ... Am I right ?

Sorry for the critic, but I find this is not a good respect of the client / server philosophy. What should we say if Apache and Firefox were not always compatible, depending of their respective compilation options ?!?

Excuse me for my approximative english.

Gustavo

different version on the clien and the server will not work.

Postby Gustavo » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:58 pm

I have the partimage client from SystemRescueCD (0.6.6) and the server from the home page of partimage (0.6.7) and when trying to connect would say "Connexion refused by server: Version mismatch"

It means the server does not accept any other client version?

Not very good isn't it?

Any body had the same problem? where can I get the 0.6.6 server version?

Return to “Usage across network”