Unable to mount NTFS disk as writable from server

Messages about how to use partimage across a network (with the partimaged server, samba, nfs, ...)

Moderator: feffer

totem

Unable to mount NTFS disk as writable from server

Postby totem » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 am

Hi,

I've got a laptop (Vista) to backup, but doesn't have enough space to save the image locally, so I decided to boot my desktop machine (WinXP) with the SystemRescueCD and run the partimaged (server) from there and have the laptop save the image on the partimaged server.

When I try to mount the NTFS disk to have partimaged save the image there, it always mounts it as read-only (even if I try to specify the -w flag to the 'mount' command).

What can I do so that the partimaged (from the bootable CD) can save the image to this specific NTFS disk?

thanks

mduffy

Postby mduffy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:06 pm

mount -t ntfs-3g -v -o,rw,nls=utf8 $Mountname $BackupRoot

i.e. use a type of "ntfs-3g" instead of "ntfs". NTFS is still considered experimental.

mduffy

Postby mduffy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:14 pm

Sorry, I did not understand your question, ignore my suggestion. I thought it had to do with mounting an NTFS partition on the same system as you are backing up.

I do not use the client / server functions. However, I have found that windows services work perfectly well, i.e.:

mount -t cifs -o,rw,username=$Username,password=$Password,workgroup=$Workgroup,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rsize=$bsize,wsize=$bsize $Mountname $BackupRoot

If your XP system is joined to a domain, use the domain name as the workgroup. Otherwise, you will need to define a username & password on the XP system to use with the above command. I use bsize=8192.

Return to “Usage across network”