mount -o loop -t partimagefs image-1.000 /mnt/partimage

Discuss about the plans: what features to add, how to develop, ...

Moderator: feffer

xulin

Postby xulin » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:38 pm

all is in the titel :)

welle it could me very usefull to see what there is written on a set on partimages iamges !

xulin

bob

Postby bob » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:43 am

I'd like to chime in and say that adding support for something like this would be great. Easiest way would be to allow restore to an image file instead of forcing us to restore to a partition. That way we'd have an exact duplicate of the file system, allowing easy loopback mounting.

szaka

Postby szaka » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:37 pm

You can loop mount an ntfsclone'd ntfs. You can also restore it to a file. It's in the ntfsprogs package: http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

Postby Guest » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:42 pm

if you want to restore to a file (on a linux box)

go in a directory where you have enough room
dd if=/dev/zero of=filePart.part bs=1000k count=1000

** put for the count arg the place you need, in the exemple it will create
a 1Gig file

losetup filePart.part /dev/loop0

** if you already have e loopback device monted, you should take
the first which is free, loop1, loop2 etc etc

use /dev/loop0 for the device name in partimage
after you can mount the filePart :

mount /dev/loop0 /myPartition

do not forget at end to free the loopback file :
losetup -d /dev/loop0

that's all

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 08, 2004 11:56 pm

Thanks for the ntfsclone tip. ntfsclone rocks, and is even provided on the www.insert.cd linux boot cd I'll be using to manage backup/restore on my new windows xp system. Why use some mystic and incomplete windows restore point stuff when you can boot into linux and do a complete backup/restore.

As for partimage/losetup/etc, a good unix program should be as agnostic as possible about what it's I/Oing to, and partimage fails in this regard by insisting that images be restored to a device. I hate it when programs think they're smarter than I am.

Also, the losetup solution isn't so great because it requires space for a partimage file and a complete image for loopback, whereas ntfsclone requires space only for a sparse image which can be directly loopback mounted.

Return to “Future”