is partimage dead?

Discuss about the plans: what features to add, how to develop, ...

Moderator: feffer

tber

is partimage dead?

Post by tber » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:07 pm

Hi,

I recognized that the last unstable version was released one year ago.
Are there no efforts at all anymore for newer and improved versions?

Tom Ber

DW

Post by DW » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 am

Yes, I think so. Device Image seems to be its successor:
http://www.device-image.de/

DW

Post by DW » Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:20 am

Oh, to see a single project that took all the "good points" of partimage, Device Image, ntfsclone, ntfsresize, GNU parted, etc

Alas, I can not spell "C" ... let alone programme in it.

szaka

Post by szaka » Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:30 am

Device Image is only a mix of dd, split and gzip. It doesn't understand filesystems, it works only at the device, not filesystem level.

But yes, the situation doesn't look too good. Partimage is dead, SystemRescueCD is dead, QTParted is dead.

jurij

Post by jurij » Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:39 pm

Hi all,
these two tools zsplit/unzsplit are not very inteligent you are right, but the advantage of these tools is independence from the file system. And even more you can always be sure that your backup-image is recoverable. Device-Image project is not only these two tools, they are only a beginning :-)))

Regards,
Jurij

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:32 pm

why it s dead.

People are leave without tell a little word....?!

CMk

Post by CMk » Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:38 am

szaka wrote:The situation doesn't look too good. Partimage is dead, SystemRescueCD is dead, QTParted is dead.
Any chance to wake up the project ? They don't need so much improvement to become 3 very good software :/

vir2al

Post by vir2al » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:32 am

I have been using partimage for a long time (years) and I have had no problems with it. I use it to back up several systems each having multiple OSes (ext3, reiserfs, ntfs, etc.). I think it works like a charm.

For network transfering, I just use NFS or SAMBA mount points.

I wouldn't recommend device-image until it can backup only the used data. The main reason I chose partimage (over norton ghost) was that it backups only the used sectors.

Perhaps, after device-image matures and can support this (which would break it's design) then it may be useful.

I use partimage and systemrescue cd. Great job!

gentoo_usr

Partimage

Post by gentoo_usr » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:36 pm

I am not sure if partimage is dead..........I hope that it isn't as it is a truely great peice of open source software.

Having used it for sometime it has provided excellent service and whilst basic in look and feel it does it's job very well.

This project is just so close to perfect (for what it is supposed to do) that for the project to die is a real shame.

Just my thoughts.........

DW

Post by DW » Mon Apr 11, 2005 5:08 am

Need to engage the enthusiasm of some programmers

darken

may by not entirely dead afterall...

Post by darken » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Hi there!
My and colleagues are planning to start writing a block device driver that would allow you to directly mount partimage image files.

This might even, in the best case, persuade partimage author to make some progress in partimage 0.7 line which BTW looks quite good.

So I hope nothing goes wrong and we will be able to do this.
Best wishes,
PJ

vir2al

Re: may by not entirely dead afterall...

Post by vir2al » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:19 am

darken wrote:Hi there!
My and colleagues are planning to start writing a block device driver that would allow you to directly mount partimage image files.

This might even, in the best case, persuade partimage author to make some progress in partimage 0.7 line which BTW looks quite good.

So I hope nothing goes wrong and we will be able to do this.
Best wishes,
PJ
That would be awesome! The only thing partimage is missing is a means of navigating through the image. I imaging you could use the cloop driver that knoppix uses. cloop is like the loop device that lets you loop files as mount points but decompresses (hence the 'c') data transparently. Will you be setting up a SourceForge project?

Kendrick1

Post by Kendrick1 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:35 pm

only down side with loop is windows doesnt like it ;) and with as many problems as windows has .....

Im how ever finding it intresting to try and save/restore some ntfs partitions

ntfstools wont mount the win2003 partitions and part image just drops so who knows...

szaka

Post by szaka » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:42 am

Kendrick1, ntfsprogs (called ntfstools three years ago) works flowlessly with NTFS filesystem of Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows NT4 and Longhorn. All NTFS versions are supported, being used by either 32-bit or 64-bit Windows.

If you have a problem then quite probably you didn't do something right, e.g. you have dynamic disks and didn't setup a device mapper for it on Linux.

partinux

Problem with restore

Post by partinux » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:04 am

Hi everyone

I'm a new comer on this forum. Just as most of you, I love Partimage EXCEPT just a little drawback:

It saves the used sectors only, fine BUT on the otherhand ... here is my story!!

I had to expand one partition, When I restored it from the image made from the previous size (before expansion), the final size was the previous one. It did not take into account the new size (expansion). Any chance to fix this please?

Same problem if I shrink the partition. Even worse because Partimage does not restore anything, eventhough there is enough room on the shrunken partition!

Then, if it can be fixed, this program would be PERFECT for me.

If any developer is on the line .... thanks for this improvementt!!

Have a nice day everyone