dd-support

Discuss about the plans: what features to add, how to develop, ...

Moderator: feffer

Haki

dd-support

Postby Haki » Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:48 pm

How about a function/mode like the dd-command as a workaround for unsupported or new filesystems?

Yes, dd can be used without partimage in such cases, but with without the great client/server-functionality (and the comfort).

My reason for this question is still NTFS, but I think such a mode could be helpful in many cases. There will always be new and unsupported fs's.

Greetings

Haki

DW

Postby DW » Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:34 am

`dd` works well for a raw copy, but it will not work very well when you are copying for HDD to an other HDD, if they have differnet geometry (heads/cylinders/sector).
For example if you went to a HDD that had 16 sector's per track, to a HDD that had 8 sector's per track.... what happens if the filesystem says that the suchNsuch.txt lives on sector 15 of track 8.....where is sector 15 on the the HDD with only 8 sectors per tack.

Using dd with something like nc will give you network functionality.

If you are not happy about using partimage to clone NTFS partitions ... why not use ntfsclone.

tassiloerlewein

dd-support

Postby tassiloerlewein » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:29 pm

Hi there,

over the last days I have programmed a little partimage extension providing support for "unknown" file systems.

My approach is that partimage could treat those file systems like 100% full filesystems and simply save each and every block of it.
The changes to the source code are quite overseeable, I think.

The modified partimage basically ends up in a dd-like operation. I've tested it with some exotic partitions and it seems to work - it still needs further testing though. If you fill the unused areas of the file system with zeros, compression still seems OK. However, speed is an issue compared to supported filesystems.

I would be happy to provide a patch against 0.6.4 for consideration by the core developers. Where can I send it ?

Best regards,

Tassilo

DW

Postby DW » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:07 am

But with if you restore to a drive with different geometry?
Does the user at least get a warning message, about using RAW mode?

jurij

Postby jurij » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:41 pm

You can use LBA mode (logical block addressing) to define the addressing. All modern hard disks support this mode.

In LBA mode you don't have to worry about numbers of sectors, cylinder or heads. So the raw image will still be usefull.

Regards,
Jurij

Return to “Future”