No way to restore MBR

Go there if you encounter an unexpected error when using the softare. For installation problems, use another forum.

Moderator: feffer

ahdiddum

No way to restore MBR

Postby ahdiddum » Fri May 10, 2013 9:46 am

Hi,
I can't restore the MBR from a XP image created with partimage (I don't have the version number here, but it is the version provided with System Rescue CD 2.8.1).
I have a EeePC701 with Windows XP et I have saved the partition (NTFS) with Partimage from System Rescue CD 2.8.1 (SRCD) on a SD card (/dev/sdc)
I restored the original Operating System on the Eee which is Xandros, using eeebackup.
Now I need WinXp again.
I boot the 701 with a SRCD boot disk (/dev/sdb), then I create a temporary folder :
# mkdir /mnt/usb
# mount /dev/sdc1 / /mnt/usb
Then, with Gparted, I delete the three linux partitions sda1, sda2, sda3, I create a 3.72 Gio NTFS partition.
# partimage
I select sda1 as the partition to restore, I type the directory with the image file to use : /mnt/usb/xxx.gz.000, I select "Restore partition from an image file", F5, "OK" three times, everything's all right.
Then the trouble comes...
#partimage
I select "Restore an MBR from an image file", F5 ;
For "Disk with the MBR to restore", I have :
/dev/loop0 (301648 blocks)
/dev/sda (3907512 blocks)
/dev/sdb (1997824 blocks)
/dev/sdc (3887104 blocks)
and for "Original MBR to use", I ONLY have :
000 : /dev/sda (3907512 blocks) !!!
As a result, I can't do anything, I guess I need /dev/sdc in the second column, as it seems to me I used to have before.
Any idea would be appreciated ! many thanks.

feffer

Re: No way to restore MBR

Postby feffer » Sat May 11, 2013 8:46 pm

You may not be able to get your MBR back from your saved partimage images, but there are ways to fix or recreate it; just google. If the only system on your EEE is WinXP, it should not be too difficult. The main idea is to get to a dos command prompt and run "fixmbr" Then you should be able to boot into XP.

ahdiddum

Postby ahdiddum » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your answer.
I've just got back my saved WinXP partition using System Rescue CD 1.0.0.
Before achieving this, I have tried many things without any success ; the fact is you cannot recreate the MBR using the windows xp recovery console ; fixmbr and fixboot just don't work.
Secondarily, I lost all my data on my 400G portable HD where the saved image was stored, in so far as an attempt with SRCD 4.4 had for result to break its MBR ; my only "mistake" (if one may say) was to put /dev/sdb (aka the HD) on the left and /dev/sda on the right (aka the Eee 701 SSD whose I wanted to restore the MBR).
Isn't there a huge bug with recent versions of Partimage/SRCD ? the old 1.0 did the job very well, while recent ones don't allow to restore a poor MBR on a single XP partition. Strange that nobody apart from me noticed this since almost two years.

feffer

Postby feffer » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:11 pm

You may want to address your concern on the System Rescue CD forum, it is probably more active. Although Partimage is still widely distributed, it hasn't been updated for a long time. I hope you are not using it as your primary OS backup method. There is a newer program, fsarchiver, by the same developer that is more current. I switched some years ago and have been happy with fsarchiver.

Return to “Unexpected errors during usage”