Power Failure During Backup

Go there if you encounter an unexpected error when using the softare. For installation problems, use another forum.

Moderator: feffer

Teeklin

Power Failure During Backup

Post by Teeklin » Tue May 31, 2011 5:12 am

So I'm a complete newbie to anything and everything Linux, the console commands are a complete mystery to me, but I'm trying to learn and I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong. Thus far everything I've done I've taught myself from wikipedia and other articles so I'm sure I'm off somewhere.

I just reformatted and reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my laptop and I'm trying to save an image of my primary partition after installing all the drivers/updates to the secondary partition on that same hard drive. I've already got the hard drive partitioned into the C: and D: drives from the Windows install disk and from booting up with SystemRescueCD and using

Code: Select all

cat /proc/partitions
It looks like the drive I want to back up is sda1 and the drive I want to save to is sda5 (and there's an sda2 with only a single block for some reason? looks out of place but I don't know...)

So I boot from the CD, choose 64-bit kernel with default options, and when the prompt comes up I type:

ntfs-3g /dev/sda5 /mnt/windows
and then launch Partimage.

In there, I set it up to save sda1 to the folder I had already created on the drive

/mnt/windows/SysRestore/win7clean.gz
and choose to save the partition to a new image, leave everything on the second page to defaults, type in a description, and let it run. It seems to work just fine, I see the save start, the numbers start rolling, everything is good. Then out of the blue at around 15-20% the computer will just shut off, no error message or warning.

The only thing I noticed and I honestly don't know if it's supposed to be that way or not is that when it's saving it says that that name of the image file is "win7clean.gz.000" and since that's the only thing different than what I entered manually I figured I would mention it.

I've looked at the BIOS for some kind of power saving features but it's bare bones in this laptop and there's no mention of any and certainly no options to change anything power related. I also tried turning ACPI off at the bootprompt, saving without compression, and saving without splitting the image or writing a description to no avail.

Anyone have any thoughts about what I'm doing wrong or what I might do to troubleshoot this issue? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post! :)