Create an image without unmounting the disk/partition

Go there if you encounter an unexpected error when using the softare. For installation problems, use another forum.

Moderator: feffer

Shredder

Create an image without unmounting the disk/partition

Post by Shredder » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:15 pm

Hello,

I want to create a disk image with Partimage of a live system (Suse Linux server). I have to create an image of a disk /sda2 which I cannot unmount, because it is the system disk. When I run Partimage, i get the error "The /dev/sda2 partition is mounted" and that I have to unmount it before using Partimage. As I said I cannot unmount this partition and I've searched in different forums for a solution. I found the possibilty of using the "--allowmnt" command in Partimage. What could happen, when I use this command or is there any other possibilty to create the image without unmounting the the disk?

Thanks in advance!

Regards, Shredder

Shunter

Post by Shunter » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Trying to image a mounted partition isn't going to work. You don't specify the type of filesystem, but modern filesystems have things called journals and caches to consider. Such things only get flushed to disc when the partition is dismounted. You'll also run into problems with open files, etc...

Boot the server from something else (a Knoppix CD for example), with the noswap nofstab options, then image from there.

Lns

Post by Lns » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Is imaging a live (mounted) partition in the future feature list for partimage? I can't see many people using this in a production environment if they have to unmount the actual partitions first. Acronis, Symantec and other disk imaging solutions have gotten this down, maybe we can see how they do it and implement it in partimage.. ? I would be willing to help with what I can, testing, etc.. IANAP, but I'm willing to bet there's a cache of people who'd be willing to come together to implement this feature. It's probably the biggest roadblock from widespread adoption of partimage over alternatives.

Cheers,
Jordan/Lns