NTFS Unused Space Size

Go there if you encounter an unexpected error when using the softare. For installation problems, use another forum.

Moderator: feffer

crunch

NTFS Unused Space Size

Postby crunch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:44 pm

I am attempting to image an NTFS partition where there is about 30 GB used and 260 GB unused. Partimage wants to save 120 GB which surprised me because I expected it to ignore unused space.

This is a Vista OS. I did use the defrag from the command line with the -w option before attempting to image.

Any idea why partimage wants to save unused space?

Thanks.

TheDuke

Postby TheDuke » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:08 am

I've seen the exact same thing - I have 30GB of actual used data as reported within an OS / gparted etc.

But Partimage wants to backup 125GB of data - I just ran Auslogics Defrag on my drive and can seen a band of unmoveable blocks half way through the disk. I think partimage wants to write from the start block all the way through to the end of these unmovable blocks.

feffer

Postby feffer » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:14 pm

Partimage should ignore unused space, but remember that support for NTFS is experimental. It should work for NTFS systems on Windows NT, 2000 and XP, if they are fully defragmented and if system files are not compressed. Partimage has not been actively developed since before Vista came out. While it might still be useful in some cases, the user will just have to read the manual fully, try it and see how it goes. If it doesn't work well for your purposes, there are plenty of proprietary cloning apps around -- acronis, paragon, norton ghost etc. There are also a few other free ones like dd.

Return to “Unexpected errors during usage”