Error 0xc00000e when restoring Windows7

Go there if you encounter an unexpected error when using the softare. For installation problems, use another forum.

Moderator: feffer

littlebigman

Error 0xc00000e when restoring Windows7

Post by littlebigman » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Hello

I'm using the CloneZilla Live CD to save/restore the image of /sda1 into a file in /sda2 so that I can test different OS's. Clonezilla relies on Partimage, Partclone, and ntfsclone.

I don't know if it uses Partimage or Partclone to actually image a partition, but since there's not much documentation on the CZ site and the forum is a bit slow, I figured I could ask here.

I can successfully restore XP and Vista using the default options, but after restoring W7 the same way, W7 barfs at boot time: "Err 0xc00000e - Can't find WINLOAD.EXE".

Has someone seen this, and knows what to do besides inserting the W7 DVD and choosing Repair (which takes time)?

Thank you.

feffer

Post by feffer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:25 am

Partimage is not under active development at this time. It is possible that some differences in Win 7 are not accounted for. Someone monitoring this forum (which is not very active either) might know whether it is possible for partimage to handle Win 7 or not.

If you need a "dead sure" method of saving/restoring a Win 7 partition, you might have to spring for one of the proprietary solutions. Good luck.

littlebigman

Post by littlebigman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:59 am

Thanks for the tip. After imaging W7 a second time to see if things were fixed using bcdedit.exe, I notice that by default, CloneZilla tries to image a partition using PartClone, then PartImage, then dd.

I'll ask in the PartClone forum to see if someone knows the cause for this error.

Thank you.